Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Green Drink

Like most nannies, finding a new job is a scary task.  My families that I nanny for become part of my family.  It is not like a normal job where you do not have to engage with your co-workers if you do not want to, you are intertwined in their lives, parenting skills, and practically live in their house!
After searching for a while, I found the perfect family.
(that story will come at a later time)
I sat down with them to learn more about them like what they enjoyed doing, what their children were like, just things that don't normally come out in the first interview.  At one point the Dad (John)said something along the lines of, "The one weird thing about us would be our fridge and food.  Our fridge is full of vegetables.'
Now I always had fruits and vegetables in my fridge growing up.  I just chose to eat the fruits and not the vegetables.  The only vegetables I eat are carrots and the occasional Caesar salad smothered in Dressing!
One morning I came to work and John was in the kitchen putting tons of vegetables in their blender.  He blended them up into a smoothie and served it up to their 6 year old!
Then he offered me some.....he said I did not have to drink it but he wanted to offer.
Now i was trying to be a good new employee but I could not say yes.
The next few mornings I watched the 6 year old drink it up and both parents drink and I thought, how bad could this be?
I finally gave in.  First I gave it a little sniff.  It smelt just like Jamba Juice.
It was awesome! 
Filled with so many good vegetables and I couldn't even taste them!
Perfect for this vegetable hater!
Since learning more about raw eating and how good it is for you a few things have changed at our house.
We went out and bought a Bendtec from Costco!
I am now making these green drinks for breakfast every morning.
While we were moving it was packed away, but now it is back out and has a place on our counter top!

Isn't this produce from Harbor Greens beautiful!
(who would've thought I would ever say that)
Here is the Green Drink Recipe for the Vegetable Haters!
  • Cucumber - Half
  • Celery - Three Sticks
  • Apple - Half
  • Avocado - Half of a Large/a Whole Small
  • Banana - One
  • Stevia - One Packet
  • Spinach - Three large hand fulls
  • Water - Until blade is covered
  • Ice - Three hand fulls
This is what it looks like pre blended with no ice or water. 
I make mine the night before and put it in the fridge so that in the morning I just plop it on the base and press the smoothie button and I have an easy quick breakfast!
I put as much spinach in there as I can because I know I will not eat it any other way. 
These pictures were from our apartment taken on my iPhone 4.
The apples and banana cover up the taste of the vegetables.
The avocado creates the smoothie texture.  Without the avocado it is more of a slush texture.
You can add as much spinach, cucumber, and celery as you want.  I have never tasted the spinach!
Brian even agrees that it is good!
I would never and still will never just chomp on a piece of celery or cucumber.
But this is my salad every day in a cup!  It can be used as a meal replacement too because technically it is just a salad blended up! 
I am thankful for my crazy vegetable loving boss!  She has taught me how to eat my vegetables....and enjoy it!
I dare you to try this recipe!
-e


2 comments:

  1. Hey Brain wassup? I generally like to drink green vegetable juices as they are quite nutritious. However, I wonder why do things which are good for health tastes so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kopi!
      This is Emily. I write this blog even though it says Brian. (still trying to fix that)
      I agree with you! It would be wonderful if healthy foods tasted as amazing as a bowl of icecream! :)
      Thanks for reading and commenting!
      Emily

      Delete