Monday, March 10, 2014

Dollar Store Votives on Glitter Steriods!

When my dad asked me to help out with my Mom's 50th birthday party I knew what I wanted to do.
I loved working with glitter for a few Christmas projects that I wanted to do it again.

I went to my local Dollar Tree and grabbed a few small round votive candle holders.
The sweet old man behind me asked what I was buying them for.  I told him they were for decoration at my moms birthday party.  He then asked if I was going to fill them with water and float some little candles in them.  I told him that was a great idea, knowing that what I had in mind was much greater!


There were two different sizes.  I got both.  Only $1 each!!!


The best part about the dollar store is that you can order anything from their online store and get it delivered to your local dollar tree to pick up for free!  No shipping!!!



I took them outside and sprayed them down with a coat of gold paint from Michaels. 

I found that if I did a small layer and let it dry it worked the best.
If you do a thick layer of paint it will run on the smooth glass.


I found spray glitter at Walmart and decided to try it.  I didn't like how it looked.  In the end it gave the vase a matte finish, which I did not want.  


I used cheap craft glitter and rubbed modge podge on the painted vase and then sprinkled glitter over the top.  


After the modge podge dried overnight I sprayed the entire vase with the modge podge sealing spray.
this worked so much easier than trying to cover the vase with the glue liquid type.


I was so happy with how these looked with some pretty white flowers!
If anyone wants to borrow them feel free to ask!


-e


No comments:

Post a Comment